So who says you have to give your One year old a regular cake filled with tons of sugar and whatever else? No One! Why not make a healthy cake for your little one!
One of my favourite site that is full of great home made baby food recipes is Wholesome Baby Food by Momtastic. They also have a great page the has a whole bunch of great healthy First Birthday Cake Recipes and icing ideas.
I prefer to make a Basic Rice Flour Cake. I've had the recipe for a couple years and don't remember where I found it. But here's how I make it.
What You Need:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup brown rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C)
2) Grease and flour one 8" cake pan
3) Cream the butter till light
4) Add maple syrup and whip until well blended
5) Beat in egg and vanilla
6) Slowly add flour and baking powder and beat until thoroughly combined
7) Pour into the cake pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a sharp knife inserted into the middle comes out clean
8) Let cool and remove from pan
And that's how you make a delicious yet healthy birthday cake. It's wheat free, dairy free and sugar free! You can make this cake with butter instead of olive oil. You can also use regular sugar instead of the maple syrup, but it would be much more sweet and dryer as well. I find this cake very yummy and just sweet enough... I'm not a big fan of super sweet cakes. The rice flour also makes a very unique texture, almost a bit like a corn meal muffin. Which I love but some people would prefer finer flour like tapioca flour which would work for this recipe too.
|John Deere Themed Cake|
Now to decorate! With a healthy cake you need a health icing. My favourite is Maple Cream Cheese Frosting. Here's how you can make it!
What You Need:
1 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup maple syrup
1) Take the cream cheese out of the fridge about 1 hour before you start to soften
2) Whisk the cream cheese until light
3) Add the maple syrup and continue to whisk until mixed thoroughly
4) Cool in refrigerator for about 1/2 an hour
5) Ice your cake
This icing is very delicious and goes great with the Rice Cake. It is very easy to make and super easy to use. Once you ice the cake you can decorate with anything you like! This icing provides a great and sticky surface to decorate!
|Disney's Cars Themed Cake|
I hope you and little ones enjoy this tasty cake! And have fun decorating it too... that's always my favourite part!